In need of fun ideas - citizenship in the nation badge

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

In need of fun ideas - citizenship in the nation badge

Postby HappyCamper » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:42 pm

Does anyone know of fun activities or have interesting ways for counselors to teach the citizenship in the nation material? Even more generally, if anyone knows of fun things to do when going over the information covered in ANY of the citizenship badges - that would be helpful. I have planned to play Jeopardy with the boys, perhaps, after letting them read the material and discussing it in the group, but I don't have any other creative ways to convey the material and assess their understanding. Much thanks!
HappyCamper

Postby RWSmith » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:17 pm

HappyCamper, Welcome to the board! Cool name, BTW. 8) Anyhow, considering where you're located, go to Goggle and punch in, <The-name-of-your're-hometown "federal building">. In your case, the article of the No. 1 hit, seems like it would be a very interesting place to visit. (Since you didn't put you're location in your profile, I've left that out here, in this conversation, as well.)

Inertesting federal facitilies to visit: The nearest Sercret Service, BATF, FBI, CIA, or Customs office, Veterans Hospital, or etc. Other places I know of, that may not be tapped, but can be visited... the Command Post of a nearby military base/post/fort, the nearest National Weather Service office, Air Traffic Control tower. And here's a good one for an evening trip... the nearest U.S. Postal Service 'Processing and Distribution Center'--rows and rows of machines processing tens-of-thousands of pieces of mail per hour.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Lynda J » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 am

OUr troop is talking about visiting the Mint that is here in the Ft. Worth area. But you can also use Federal Court Houses.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required